Saturday, December 4, 2010

December 4th, 2010

As I was flipping through my biggie pad I noticed that I haven’t blogged about my figure work in some time. A while back we learned about the feet with the muscles and tendons over top. We completed a long drawing of the model’s feet and a long drawing of her seated up on the podium. These are photographs of my work from that day.

Study of the feet, long drawing


Long pose drawing

Most recently we worked on our manikins on correcting problems with the leg muscles in class and beginning the rest of the work to finish out the semester. I had some issues with my manikins thighs being too thin and some issues with blending the clay together too much on the back of the thigh. I went back in a couple days ago to delineate the muscles from one another and make them more distinct. Amy gave us books to look at that show how the muscles look together as a whole and I have been going back and forth from this book to the atlas to see how the muscles interact together. Now they look how better than they initially did with more roundness and attention paid to the separation between individual muscles.

As we learned about the arms and shoulders we learned how the clavicle and scapula work together on the figure. The shoulder blades should take up half of the length of the spine on the medial border of the ribcage on the back from the 2nd to 7th ribs. The shoulder blades will do whatever the arms do. After learning about the shoulder blades and clavicle we drew from the maniken with a series of gesture drawings and then a long drawing to become familiar with the form of the bone and connection to the arm and shoulder. I thought it was funny to be drawing from a skeleton but it was very informative to see where the bones form the shape and

contours of muscle tissue that will lay on top of them. In some ways I wished that we would have been drawing from the skeleton simultaneously from the beginning of the semester on days when the model was sick.

5 minute gestures of the skeleton with scapula and clavicle

Long drawing of the skeleton with scapula and clavicle

3 comments:

  1. i get a good sense of weigh and gravity in your gesture drawings, they have a very nice flow and realism to them! nice work

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the drawing of the feet! It looks very nice with the front toes, I like the heavier line. It looks like you have a good understanding of contours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. your very good at suggesting form, and your line variety is very nice. i like how they go from barely visible to really dark.

    ReplyDelete