Thursday, December 9, 2010

Tuesday December 7th

Shell drawing three Critique

Some things in critique we needed to pay attention to and make note of were:

Did the shell demonstrate a strong long axis line?

Was the ink integrated well enough into the whole composition?

What kind of strokes were used and were they in the correct direction?

Do the contour lines and ink feel as though they were created by waves as the shell was?

Are the recessed areas darkened and protrusions or closer areas lighter?

What can be done to make the next shell drawing the best?

Today in class we critiqued our third shell drawing and I got some feedback from my group of classmates about good qualities in my drawings and things to improve on for the next and final drawing. My group said there was a nice depth of tonal range in the ink on my drawing. One way to improve on my next shell drawing is to pay attention to the front small spiral portion of the shell and make sure that it has the roundness that will make it feel three dimensional. In my drawing it did come off feeling a little flat in that area. I also need to go back in and darken the cross contour drawing. I initially drew the shell in very lightly in pencil and planned to go back in and darken the contour drawing but haven’t yet because I want to make sure it is well enough integrated into the ink.

For my next shell drawing I am looking forward to knowing what to expect with the ink and employing some new strategies we discussed in group critique. I am going to start out my ink use with lighter dilutions so that the areas can build up tonally slower. Then I will go in later on with darker concentration of ink into the recesses of the shell.

After the critique of our shells we drew the hands of our partner and traded off drawing for a half hour and then modeling for a half an hour. It was more difficult than I thought it would be but here was me giving it a shot.

On Thursday we talked about the skull and went over some interesting concepts of what makes up the basic shape of it. These are my hour long drawings from the skeletons in class.

3 comments:

  1. I like your use of line and observation of the skull. You can tell that there is a sense of 3-d space created when you followed the crack line in the dome of the skull. I feel that your hand drawings are a little bit light and could use some contrast punching up in photo shop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I especially like the first shell that you posted. I think the plains were all evident and the cross contours look extremely well done and carefully thought out. I agree that your hand drawings are kin of light, but I'm also glad you didn't outline, a happy medium maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the skull drawings, they have great proportions!

    ReplyDelete