Saturday, October 2, 2010


September 28th

Today in class we broke up into small groups and took a look at craft, accuracy and overall consistency of the back muscles we built over the weekend. While we were critiquing our manikens in small groups it made me realize how many approaches there are to doing an assignment. Reflecting on our building experience made me appreciate where everyone was coming from when I realized how many of us were having the same struggles with building muscles. Some struggles we talked about were how difficult it was to build muscles and how they interact with muscles we had already built and attached to the skeleton. One way for us to solve this is to use tracing paper and look back and forth from muscle to muscle in the atlas in order to visualize their interaction on the skeleton.

Egg shape ribcage exercise

September 30th

The lecture on the ribcage was interesting to see how the bones and muscles all interact in the torso. I find it difficult to imagine a line in 3-Dimensional space that delineates a far point in the Drawing the egg shape for the ribcage was difficult to get used to. When it came to drawing what we were discussing I found myself finding old habits or new habits we were trying to create while drawing the whole figure. We were drawing an egg shape to show the curves of the ribcage and how it comes up to an A shape toward the neck. As we progressed on to draw multiple ribcages I started to lose focus on just drawing the ribcage and long axis line of the body. I kept fighting myself to not draw the whole body and details while just sticking to the main shape of the torso and long axis.

25 minute torso cross contour exercise

No comments:

Post a Comment